The iPhone 5 is the greatest phone in the world. It has top-notch hardware with a zippy new A6 processor and amazing four-inch display. Its new operating system, iOS 6, is slicker than slugs on ice. And its ultra-slim body, an all-glass and aluminum enclosure, is a triumph of industrial design. There is nothing not to like about the phone. It’s aces. Just aces.
And yet it is also so, so cruelly boring.
Yes, it’s better than the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 4 or just about any other phone you can buy. It’s faster with a bigger screen and an LTE antenna so you can suck up data from your carrier like Michael Phelps at a table full of pizza. But mostly it is the Toyota Prius of phone updates. It is an amazing triumph of technology that gets better and better, year after year, and yet somehow is every bit as exciting as a 25 mph drive through a sensible neighborhood at a reasonable time of day. It’s not going to change your life. It’s not even going to offer a radically different experience.
It’s a weird paradox. The iPhone 5 can simultaneously be the best phone on the market and really, really boring. And that has almost nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with our expectations.
Some part of me can't help but admire the purity of the clusterfuck that is Twitter's continued downward trajectory from startup wunderkind to some sort of bland, wannabe ad-driven media company.
It's incomplete, but I can't help but draw comparisons between Twitter's alienation of their original users and ecosystem to, because I am me, Star Wars.
Despite what George Lucas says, the continuing alterations to Star Wars have been driven by business reasoning, not some artistic auteur need to see the vision completed. And in both cases, the original fan base is the one getting run over, while the unwashed masses get to enjoy Jar Jar and Justin Bieber, respectively.
Never mind the irony and complete lack of insight it takes to essentially lock out third-party developers — the very people who practically invented modern-day Twitter (thinking anything else is delusional).
Afterward, when the world was exploding around him, he felt annoyed with himself for having forgotten the name of the BBC reporter who told him that his old life was over and a new, darker existence was about to begin. She called him at home, on his private line, without explaining how she got the number. “How does it feel,” she asked him, “to know that you have just been sentenced to death by Ayatollah Khomeini?” It was a sunny Tuesday in London, but the question shut out the light. This is what he said, without really knowing what he was saying: “It doesn’t feel good.” This is what he thought: I’m a dead man. He wondered how many days he had left, and guessed that the answer was probably a single-digit number. He hung up the telephone and ran down the stairs from his workroom, at the top of the narrow Islington row house where he lived. The living-room windows had wooden shutters and, absurdly, he closed and barred them. Then he locked the front door.
These are some of the other things I've been tweeting about today:
- "Wikipedia is dominated by male editors" http://pjblack.me/OFRizT
- from the @guardian: "How the xx shared their new album Coexist by releasing it to just one fan" http://pjblack.me/OFRiQC
- a thoughtful post on electoral reform from @PollBludger: "Automatic for the people" http://pjblack.me/Q44vCW #auspol #lwb242
- "This Curation Trend has One Big Problem: Scale" says @Eringriffith http://pjblack.me/SaCwRr
- i don't the fake leather, glass or wood either: "Will Apple's Tacky Software-Design Philosophy Cause A Revolt?" http://pjblack.me/Q47vz0
- "Facebook lists make Twitter and Google+ lists look lame in comparison" says @Scobleizer http://pjblack.me/Saqjw2
- "Australian Sex Party Complaint Against Google Over Ad Ban" http://pjblack.me/NpceOG #auspol #lwb480 #kkb175
- "QS rankings are no cause for complacency" http://pjblack.me/Q45VNN #highered
- changes to the federal magistrates court announced: "Roxon delivers verdict on new court" http://pjblack.me/Npb71f #auspol #auslaw
- "Why Asians Rule YouTube" explains @rww http://pjblack.me/QEgCcl
- "Facebook's China problem" http://pjblack.me/SafQk4
- a new report suggests ways to improve indigenous tertiary education in australia: "The Turning Point" http://pjblack.me/Q3UCoK #highered
- this pretty much sums it up: "The iPhone 5 is Boring and Amazing" http://pjblack.me/Np64Oi
- from @delimiterau: "iPhone 5 hits Australia next week with 4G" http://pjblack.me/Np4ZGo
- i blogged this yesterday: "Best Australian law schools according to the QS World University Rankings" http://pjblack.me/QEtMpL #highered #auslaw
- "The Knockoff Economy: How Copying Hurts—and Helps—Fashion" http://pjblack.me/QEyX92
- "Doctor resigns from Springborg’s HIV committee" http://pjblack.me/Q3T1z7 #qldpol
- "Continuations : App.net And The Need for Social Networking Standards" http://pjblack.me/SafJVP
- is twitter ruining itself in the same way that george lucas ruined star wars?: "The Amazon Doctrine" http://pjblack.me/SafhH4 /via @lexiphanic
- from @wired: "How Katy Perry Inspired LinkedIn's Global Redesign" http://pjblack.me/QEeQYE
- from @vanityfair: "Who Wants to Be a Billionaire?: Inside the Startup-Generating Secrets of Y Combinator" http://pjblack.me/SaeRjY
- some interesting research: "Who's Trustworthy? A Robot Can Help Teach Us" http://pjblack.me/QEfIMV
- salman rushdie writes for the @NewYorker about "'The Satanic Verses,' the Fatwa, and a Life Changed" http://pjblack.me/SaeB4G
- "Pulp Fiction 2.0: Cheap Thrills for Your Kindle Are Publishing's Latest Cliffhanger" http://pjblack.me/QEfu8D
- i have to agree: "Emoticon creator says emoji are 'ugly'" http://pjblack.me/SaenKG
- catching up on the iphone 5 announcement from overnight: "Apple Unveils iPhone 5, Finally" http://pjblack.me/Sdarcd
- "Government grief spills into bars" http://pjblack.me/No3gkx #qldpol
- the end of @twimbow, another victim of twitter strict new api rules: "The Rainbow vanished" http://pjblack.me/Q29Nih
- this seems unnecessary: "Possible Lawsuit Over Aurora Movie Shootings Targets Owner" http://pjblack.me/Saf3zP
- from @Scobleizer: "Steve Jobs legacy: he personally brought Siri to Apple, saw that Siri had a contextual future" http://pjblack.me/Sapweu
- "Facebook Search All But Announced By Zuckerberg" http://pjblack.me/TRzdmy
- from @NowIKnow: "When George Bush Sr. and Hillary Clinton posed in the buff" http://pjblack.me/Q22EOX
Follow me on Twitter @peterjblack.
And you can get my latest links anytime on my Rebelmouse social media front page.