Here are today's must-reads:
Can you go to college on your computer? Some say yes, and others respond with a resounding no. But one thing is for sure: there is a boatload of public money to be vacuumed off an overcrowded, underfunded educational establishment desperate for at least the appearance of a quick fix.
Enter Udacity, the foremost provider of Massively Open Online Courses, or MOOCs. Does what's above look like college to you? Or rather, is this how college should look now?
They've been described as "a relentless force that will not be denied," revolutionary, "the single most important experiment in higher education." Also MOOCs are getting a drubbing from academics and others who believe there's more to higher education than can be provided via "distance learning."
Now California state universities are set to begin enrolling students in MOOCs for credit.
House of Cards stars Kevin Spacey, and is a remake of a British TV show of the same name — a look at the seedy underside of politics and the people who work in it. So far, critics have been praising the show, which debuted on Netflix on 1 February.
Because it's a Netflix production, the video-on-demand service is both the creator and distribution platform. It's allowed the company to do some interesting things, such as release the entire run of the first 13 episodes all in one go.
But it does create a conundrum for Australians (and anyone else outside of the US, Canada, Latin America, the UK, Sweden, Finland and Norway): when do we get to see this apparent masterpiece?
3. The bad seeds:
The grainy CCTV footage of toddler James Bulger being led away to his death by two older boys has been seared into the memory of all who saw it. Now, 20 years after the two-year-old's murder, Jane Cornwell returns to Liverpool to see how some of those affected – not to mention the reputation of an already much-maligned city – have fared.
And the most-read link I tweeted today was:
- how ridiculous: "R18+ fail: Qld bans God of War: Ascension" http://pjblack.me/14MBaVP #qldpol#auspol
These are some of the other things I've been tweeting about today:
- "Shirtless Justin Bieber tries to upstage Grammys, takes down Ustream instead" http://pjblack.me/WcW3FW
- "11 High-Tech Adult Toys to Help Valentine's Day Go With a Bang" http://pjblack.me/14MvX0f
- how ridiculous: "Twitter Adds ‘Cat’ To Language Translations – Making The Twitters A Happee" http://pjblack.me/14MvcEs
- when can you tweet spoilers?: "House Of Cards, one week later: Spoiler alerts and the DVD question" http://pjblack.me/WYBfDu
- "Telly (Formerly Twitvid) Is Hoping To Give Vine A Run For Its Money" http://pjblack.me/WYB3UF
- 20 years after the murder of james bolger: "The bad seeds" http://pjblack.me/14MsQFC
- "Facebook Might Jump On The Social TV Bandwagon With TV Check-Ins" http://pjblack.me/YjzKfZ
- "New Jersey Fire Fighters Sworn In On iPad Bible App" http://pjblack.me/W9WlgN
- a long but good read: "Venture Capital's Massive, Terrible Idea For The Future Of College" http://pjblack.me/W9RLiA #highered
- "Short on Valentine's Day ideas? Here are 10 apps to help" http://pjblack.me/WYCrqy
- "Labor talking to states over mining tax tweaks" http://pjblack.me/WcX4hl #auspol #lwb242
- "Drone Home: What Happens When Drones Return to America" http://pjblack.me/W9Rnkf
- "Booze Study Links Binging to Drinking Age" http://pjblack.me/WVapw2
- "From Terminator to Toy Story: drones for a better tomorrow" http://pjblack.me/YNYak0
- the road to an australian republic: "An Exercise In Creative Constitutionalism" http://pjblack.me/14MFOmK #lwb242 #auspol
- "When will Aussies get to watch 'House of Cards'?" http://pjblack.me/14MP2iV
- "Taylor, Murphy confirmed to join Guardian" http://pjblack.me/WYQb4v
- "A Six Year Old's Imagination Becomes Adorable Viral Short Film" http://pjblack.me/W7TUv4
- "Next Time Your Mom Says Don't Go Out in The Rain, Spray Yourself With This" http://pjblack.me/XYeKfR
- "How The Weather Channel Took Storm Names Away From The Government" http://pjblack.me/WW72oq
- "AOL Is The Weirdest Successful Tech Company In America" http://pjblack.me/XiOONK
- how ridiculous: "R18+ fail: Qld bans God of War: Ascension" http://pjblack.me/14MBaVP #qldpol #auspol
- how was seven able to air james packer saying "fuck" in the 7pm timeslot?: "Packer drops the F-Bomb -twice." http://pjblack.me/14MB8gG #lwb480
- and i thought i had a coffee addiction: "Couple Addicted to Coffee Enemas, Up to Four Times a Day" http://pjblack.me/14MwlMf
- "9 Beautiful Pics of New York City Covered in Snow" http://pjblack.me/WX4Ddd
- could it be the new dubai?: "Azerbaijan Is Rich. Now It Wants to Be Famous." http://pjblack.me/W6foss
- "How to Save College: Your Massively Open Offline College Is Broken" http://pjblack.me/11vD4MH #highered
- "Confessions Of A Modeling Agent" http://pjblack.me/14HRuqS
- i do love monopoly: "The Economics Behind the Monopoly Board Game" http://pjblack.me/WV1ASS
- "World's Most Traveled Man: The Contenders" http://pjblack.me/WV1fzy
- "Ron Paul Files International Trademark Complaint Against His Own Fans" http://pjblack.me/YNYbEl #lwb486
- "The world is drinking more coffee, but it’s the cheaper, nastier kind" http://pjblack.me/W7TTr7
Follow me on Twitter @peterjblack.
And you can get my latest links anytime on my Rebelmouse social media front page.