Here are today's must-reads:
A feature film that includes explicit scenes of gay male sex has been banned by the Classification Board. I Want Your Love, written and directed by young American filmmaker Travis Mathews, was due to screen at queer film festivals around Australia.
Mathews recently collaborated with actor James Franco on Interior: Leather Bar, an official selection at Sundance this year. It was a re-engagement with the controversial 1980 Hollywood movie Cruising, which starred Al Pacino.
Festival films are granted exemptions from the classification process. Festivals provide synopses of the works they are screening; the board can then ask to see individual films.
Melbourne Queer Film Festival director Lisa Daniel says that in her 15 years at the festival, I Want Your Love is the first film that has been refused an exemption. It has been seen in many festivals around the world, and its distributors have told her this is the first time it has been banned. Mathews is a well-known filmmaker, and the decision is an embarrassment for Australia, she says.
Once upon a time -- March 29, 1989, to be exact -- a 22-year-old aspiring actress named Eileen Bowman thought that all her dreams were about to come true. She was very wrong.
By all accounts, a global debut on ABC's telecast of the 61st Academy Awards should have been an auspicious launching pad. Instead, playing Snow White alongsideRob Lowe in a musical debacle, she instantly found a place in Oscar infamy.
The original Die Hard was based on a 1979 novel by Roderick Thorp. He'd seen The Towering Inferno, and then the story came to him in a dream: German terrorists, led by one Anton "Little Tony" Gruber, seize the L.A. headquarters of the Klaxon Oil Corporation and run afoul of retired New York cop Joe Leland, whose daughter is among the hostages. The novel was called Nothing Lasts Forever; the persistence of theDie Hard franchise suggests an alternative viewpoint. "How can the same shit happen to the same guy twice?" wondered Bruce Willis's Detective John McClane, way back in 1990'sDie Hard 2: Die Harder. If only he'd known.
And the most-read link I tweeted today was:
These are some of the other things I've been tweeting about yesterday and today:
- "15 Restaurants with Hilariously Unappetizing Names" http://pjblack.me/XiR7O2
- "Can a news org publish someone’s Twitter photo?" http://pjblack.me/We8Q98 #lws008 #lwb480 #lwb486
- symmetry does not exist in nature: "Exploring Symmetry in Mirrored Imagery" http://pjblack.me/XoU2Iq
- "Methopoly lets you play Breaking Bad at home without ruining your entire life" http://pjblack.me/13pJtnU
- "Radio magic gone, as India’s bullies shut down Jim Maxwell" http://pjblack.me/WdY1nw #cricket
- a film by travis mathews, "I Want Your Love" has been banned: "Gay sex too much for Australian film censor" http://pjblack.me/We7Bqt #lws008
- "Galaxy: Gillard versus Rudd in Queensland" http://pjblack.me/XoSMEX #auspol #qldpol
- "The Faces Of New York's Subway Commute" http://pjblack.me/12U8iwG
- "Inside the GIF-Industrial Complex" http://pjblack.me/W7L26M
- "Oscars: Rob Lowe's Snow White Shares Untold Story of Nightmare Opening" http://pjblack.me/13ipeIQ
- "'Star Wars' Needs a New Approach to Gender—Not Just More Women" http://pjblack.me/12MfGds
- "New Google Glass UI video shows off search, camera, and voice translation features" http://pjblack.me/15wh6Zb
- "Joe Roth Goes for Win in $50 Million 'Anger Management' Lawsuit" http://pjblack.me/Xklkj3 #lws008 #lwb486
- "Mom Hires Strippers for Son's 16th Birthday, Gets Arrested" http://pjblack.me/Xkl0ka
- "Growth in international students tipped to be flat or worse in 2013" http://pjblack.me/13cOu31 #highered
- "Bad News: A Brief History Of Media Controversies And The Auto Industry" http://pjblack.me/12XufdV
- how did a 30-year-old bartender turn into one of the great american movie stars?: "Bruce Willis's Career Arc" http://pjblack.me/VBf741
- "BuzzFeed uniques up 47% as New York Times profiles Editor Ben Smith" http://pjblack.me/W2E8oN
- "Inside the Conclave: Finding a New Pope" http://pjblack.me/152o5aY
- "Meet the Meteorite Hunter" http://pjblack.me/W2E0pn
- oh no i love oysters: "Ocean acidification and oysters: Shellfish are already suffering" http://pjblack.me/WT1UST
- "What The Hell Is A Next Generation Video Game?" http://pjblack.me/WT1VpH
- "Why no one is talking about Yahoo’s—or anyone else’s—new homepage" http://pjblack.me/15wh3wn
- "Raising Adam Lanza: Who Was Nancy Lanza" http://pjblack.me/VwZE59
- i'm surprised this isn't higher: "Kids Will Spend One Quarter Of Their Lives Watching Screens" http://pjblack.me/W7L1ju
- this is fascinating: "Before fingerprinting" http://pjblack.me/W7L7Y9
- i find this a little troubling: "Raising the Bar on Nominating for the 2013 Federal Election" http://pjblack.me/YHNZvc #auspol
- "Rudd’s leadership push creates a dilemma for ambitious Shorten" http://pjblack.me/XmrjDR #auspol
- 19 degrees of separation: "Any Two Pages On The Web Are Connected By 19 Clicks Or Less" http://pjblack.me/154bB2E
- becoming as senile as denny crane?; "William Shatner Now Just Arguing With People on Reddit" http://pjblack.me/XtwrFf
- "University of New England to offer web courses for credit" http://pjblack.me/12K3Xfj #highered
- how was the first black president portrayed in popular culture before obama?: "pre-Obama black presidents in comedy" http://pjblack.me/13ceg7I
- this is really quite interesting: "The new United States of Booze" http://pjblack.me/12JRnwL
- "Have Trekkies taken over the voting on the naming of Pluto’s new moons?" http://pjblack.me/12JRkRw
- "How to Tie a Bow Tie" http://pjblack.me/12JR8BO
- "Apple's Podcast Disaster: Is the company that basically invented the podcast putting it out to pasture?" http://pjblack.me/XfFnPB
- "Can you see me now? Video messaging and the future of communication" http://pjblack.me/1300OUb
- "'Is She Ignoring My Sext?' Ephemeral Messaging Apps Leave You Hanging" http://pjblack.me/12Ak2nK
- "The Fight To Keep YouTube Online in Egypt" http://pjblack.me/12ZZWPx #lwn117
- smart move from opera: "Opera buys Skyfire in bid to become mobile media middleman" http://pjblack.me/12ZZT66
Follow me on Twitter @peterjblack.
And you can get my latest links anytime on my Rebelmouse social media front page.